Yuma 4X4 Forum

WELCOME TO THE YUMA 4X4 FORUM!

If you are not a Member here, then you have limited access to the forums. You will limited access until you have signed up, then you will have full access.
Yuma 4X4 Forum

This forum is dedicated to the off-road community.

• Reply to topic

06 jeep project

david

Number of posts: 286

Model: Wrangler TJ

Post 06 jeep project

Post by david on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

I started off with a brand new 2006 jeep wrangler that I picked up in Feb. of 06. For the power train it has a 4.0 inline 6, a 4 speed automatic transmission, dana 30 front, and at the time a dana 35 rear end.
My jeep when it was 2 day old

Warn front bumper, d-rings, warn 9000lb winch, and hi lift jack

Warn rock sliders

Custom rear bumper and tire carrier, with ammo box holder

Installed a 4” rough country lift, and 33” tire with 15x8 MT wheel locks

david

Post Re: 06 jeep project

Post by david on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:47 pm

strawdog wrote:
Dang, David, you've been busy! There's a whole world open out there for people who can weld! Nice job on the racks on the back...

Renee
thanks for the good commit, i like to weld on home projects but would not want to weld for a living my welds are alway strong but dont alway look to good

bbrewer wrote:David,

Now you are all set for a tail gate party! Seriously though I sure hope you remove it for some of the runs you like to do!
Betty
Thanks
it will be removed for most traill the main reson i wanted it was for hunting so we will have a place to make ower lunch. in the pic it looks like the table is sitting at an angle. the reson is i twisted the cooler rack a few years ago on a harder trail.

david

Post by david on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 pm

I have been looking at many different lower arm skids for the front axle. I decided to make my Own, I used 3”x3” by ¼” steal plate I straitened up the lower mounts before welding on the skids, and started welding

david

Post by david on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:06 pm

After bending up two transmission pans I decided it was time to fab my stock trans skid that was removed when I lifted the jeep due to the left side skid mounting brace was in the way of the front drive line. So I cut off the left side mounting brace and made a mounting brace that went up and over the top of the front drive line. All this was done before summer now that I have been running this set up a few mounts ill be making some changes to it hear in the near future, ill be making it stronger.

kuruma if you are going to keep off roading with rod i highly suggest you look into this mod. the transmission pan on your jeep is a dealer part only. i have to buy my 2nd pan and all the parts stores around town have told me agine that it is a dealer part only agine

david

Post by david on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Spent the day going over the jeep making sure it was ready for parker splash next weekend. Were ill be running trails for three day most likely 2 of those day ill be running trail by far harder then any trail I have ever driven before. I bought a set of gen-right rear corner guard over the summer and I finely had time to install them today. Have a few things left to finish up tomorrow on the jeep and then it will be ready to go. My camera is not working so I wasn’t able t take pics of the corner guards but hear is a pic from the gen-right web sit

Perry

Number of posts: 1068

Model: Cherokee

Post by Perry on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Have a great time on the run, I would love to be up there.

Yuma 4X4
YUMA 4X4 FOUNDER

Number of posts: 3516

Post by Yuma 4X4 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:49 am

Those corner guards are like a double edged sword.

Yes, they protect the Jeep from being dented, but the flip side is that they trap and hold sand and moisture that promotes rust.

The sand is really bad since it is constantly rubbing and grinding on the paint and sheet metal.

Make sure you use a good quality silicon sealer (clear) to seal up places where dirt and moisture can get in. It won't be 100%, but it will help to delay the damage.

david

Post by david on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:13 pm

i was all set to start installing my new 4.88 gears today but unfortanetly plans changed today and i was not able to start on the gears. so i started building my tube doors with some scrap metal that i had around. i used 1 1/4" square tubeing but i think 1" square tubing would look better. i made a few stupied mistake and i think i will be starting all over with 1" square tubing

hear is a pic of the gen-right corner guards i installed a few weeks ago

kuruma

Number of posts: 74

Model: Rubicon LJ

Post by kuruma on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:51 pm

Nice Corners!! So why did you decide to go with short corners instead of fulls? Not a bust just considering them for the future of my Jeep and would like the input. I'm looking at Gen Right as well.

I'm looking at underarmor as well, and yes if I keep going out with The Chile my pans are going to get destroyed!!!!! Looking very hard at Rokmen unless Savvy gets the Aluminum for the LJ Rubicon done sometime soon. Both are on my radar just have to scrape some cash together. Body and Motor Mount lift are coming first so I can do the belly up. I love my extra cargo room but my gut hangs down a bit on some of those hills.

Yuma 4X4
YUMA 4X4 FOUNDER

Post by Yuma 4X4 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:35 pm

kuruma wrote:I love my extra cargo room but my gut hangs down a bit on some of those hills.

Jeeps have always had a clearance problem. The short ones (CJ-5's with 84 inch wheelbase) did OK with stock tires, and really good with a lift and 33's, but the longer Jeeps always get hung up on the transfer case skid plate.

By the way, the belly clearance (also called the Breakover Angle, or BOA) is the "true" clearance of a 4X4. Advertised clearances are measured from the lowest part of the vehicle (the axle)

Here's some data I have been collecting:

Crappy base numbers some 4X4's start with:
* an approach angle of not less than 28 degrees
* break-over angle of not less than 14 degrees,
* a departure angle of not less than 20 degrees,
* ground clearances of not less than 7.0 inches under the front and rear axles, and
* a ground clearance of not less than 8.0 inches under any point other than the front or rear axle.

Toyota XtraCab (1984) (this is my rig and it has a 5" lift on 33's and 112 inch wheelbase)
Ground Clearance: 19.5"
Approach Angle: 80.0 (almost 90)
Departure Angle: 80.0 (almost 90)
Breakover Angle: 40.0

Toyota 4Runner (1987) w/0" lift on 31's: 26.42
Toyota 4Runner (1987) w/0" lift on 28's: 24.2
-------------------------------------------------------

2007 Ford Escape XLS 4WD
Ground Clearance: 8.2"
Approach Angle: 20.8
Departure Angle: 28.1
Breakover Angle: 20.8

Stock 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited:
Ground clearance: 9.0"
Wheelbase: 116.0"
Tire size, rear P255/75R17
Approach Angle Deg.: 40.6
Breakover Angle Deg.: 18.4
Departure Angle Deg.: 37.5

Stock 2007 Wrangler
Wheelbase: 95.4"
Ground clearance: 10.5"
Tire size: LT255/75R17
Approach Angle Deg.: 44.3
Breakover Angle Deg.: 25.4
Departure Angle Deg.: 40.4

2010 Jeep Patriot
Ground clearance: 9.0"
Wheelbase: 103.7"
Tire size: 235/65R17
Approach Angle Deg.: 29.6
Breakover Angle Deg.: 23.3
Departure Angle Deg.: 34.2

Land Rover Free Rover
Ground Clearance: 8.5
Approach Angle 31º
Ramp Break Over Angle 23º
Departure Angle 34º

2006 Mazda Tribute S 4WD
Ground Clearance: 8.4"
Approach Angle: 30
Departure Angle: 26
Breakover Angle: 20

Nissan Xterra
-crawl ratio: 21.6:1
-ground clearance: 9.5"
-approach/departure: 33.2/29.4

Suzuki Samurai
Ground Clearance:
Approach Angle: 37
Departure Angle: 46
Breakover Angle: 31

2007 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab SR5 4x4 <--- Very good off-roader
Ground Clearance: 9.4"
Approach Angle: 35
Departure Angle: 26
Breakover Angle: 27

david

Post by david on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:52 pm

kuruma wrote:Nice Corners!! So why did you decide to go with short corners instead of fulls? Not a bust just considering them for the future of my Jeep and would like the input. I'm looking at Gen Right as well.

I'm looking at underarmor as well, and yes if I keep going out with The Chile my pans are going to get destroyed!!!!! Looking very hard at Rokmen unless Savvy gets the Aluminum for the LJ Rubicon done sometime soon. Both are on my radar just have to scrape some cash together. Body and Motor Mount lift are coming first so I can do the belly up. I love my extra cargo room but my gut hangs down a bit on some of those hills.

I have always liked the look of the short corner. I thought about going with the long corners, but I would have wanted to have them painted to mach the jeep. I like the red color and I don’t want to cover it all up. now that I look at it more I wish I would have got the corners for the unlimited and cut them to fit so it would have gone all the way to the wheel well and not just to the fender flair.

Savvy makes some good products I am looking into there gas tank skid. I am string to look at weight more and there skid only adds 4 pounds. As for the belly up skid I thing rockmen or skidrow is the way to go, so ill be going with one of them two

david

Post by david on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Started the tar down of my front differential a few days ago for my gear swop, but did not get to far an had to stop. Today I finished pulling the axels and differential out of my front dana 30

Left side axel

Right side axle pulled out a little

ARB air locker with the 4:10 ring gear still bolted to it soon to have a 4:88 ring gear

Empty dana 30 diff housing

shortbusjeep

Number of posts: 29

Model: Truggy

Post by shortbusjeep on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 pm

wow your gonna set your own gears up? cool wish i had just had you help me do mine for the truck.

Yuma 4X4
YUMA 4X4 FOUNDER

Post by Yuma 4X4 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:14 am

shortbusjeep wrote:wow your gonna set your own gears up? cool wish i had just had you help me do mine for the truck.

Toyotas are easier than Dana axles.

I paid someone to do them the first time, but did my own the second and 3rd times.

I made my own carrier bearing tool too.

shortbusjeep

Number of posts: 29

Model: Truggy

Post by shortbusjeep on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:23 am

i always wanted to try but figured why chance it. that gets alot of use and when it fails your getting towed home.

david

Post by david on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:43 pm

shortbusjeep wrote:wow your gonna set your own gears up? cool wish i had just had you help me do mine for the truck.

Like Chris said Toyota differentials are easier, because you can set the preload and gear back lash up on the bench, and then bolt it into the axel housing. I have seen a Toyota axle set up about 6 year ago when I was still in school and it did not look too hard. This was my first gear swap I have done, had to pull the carrier out six times before I got the back lash set that I was happy with. I like to thing I am some what mechanical inclined, due to turning wrench on heavy equipment for the last 5 years.

Being into the rock crawling thing I like to know as much as I can about my rig so I can fix it on the trail if possible and not have to depend on other to fix my rig. Been in that situation were I was Broke an had know idea how to get it out. I felt bad at the end of the day because he did almost all the work to get my rig out of the desert.

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:19 pm